Hello kids.
Kate, Von and Mic are already on their way to Dubai, leaving Sim, Ev and I in Delhi. This is a way cooler part of Delhi - the shopping is amazing and right outside our guesthouse. I shall make the most of it before we leave for Hong Kong in a few hours. But before I go, I thought I'd blog one last time about whatever happens to pop into my head.
Ok perhaps dot points.
Jai was awesome.
We rode elephants but being held hostage for a 50 rupee tip was not awesome.
We've hung out with a lot of Americans. I may come home and say y'all and refer to a shopping centre as the mall. Do not hold this against me.
We saw really cool forts and palaces and went shopping in the pink city.
We were extremely touristy (not our fault) and went to a wannabe amusement park called Chokhi Danhis where there was a manually operated ferris wheel. As in two guys were pushing it and one guy was inside the mechanism, pushing it round with his legs...
We had midnight Baskin and Robbins
Finer details of Jai are evading me I'm sorry I need more coffee.
We spent less than 24 hours in Agra and the prospect of seeing Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal didnt seem to excite us all that much.
Both monuments were incredible but for me personally this was my reaction: cool. let's take some photos. the end.
Our train to Delhi was three hours late. But when it arrived it was unexpectedly luxurious. We got food. And comfy seats. This was very nice because I will post about how much I can't stand the Indian train system.
The guy behind me speaking Hindi sounds really unimpressed.
And that signals the end of my brain power so I shall post the following from my Facebook blog which almost everyone but Peter has access to because he refuses to 'conform' but really, he probably just couldn't navigate it. Kidding.
From my Facebook blog:
I will be home in 2 days and I love India, yes I do, but before I leave, my last blog will be entirely dedicated to my contempt for the Indian train system. This is for the following reasons:
a) So much as travelling to the train station causes pain. To get to Var station we were packed into a van, two people had to sit on others laps and our luggage was piled on top of us. I thought I would die right there.
b) Our trains were scheduled at ridiculous times. i.e. 4.55am, 12am...
c) Trains often do not arrive on time. At Luck station our train was an hour and fifteen minutes late. It is in the middle of winter in India. We were stranded on a platform. My friends got into their sleeping bags. I sat on my backpack and managed 2 minutes of actual sleep with my head buried in my lap. You better believe I can sleep anywhere, anytime. Fortunately, our train last night that was 3 hours late, was at a station that provided an indoor restaurant. I was exhausted and slept at a table. Or tried to.
d) Train stations are synonymous with carrying a ridiculous amount of weight on one's back. It makes me incredibly grumpy to be in a strange and overwhelming place AND have 20 kilos on my back.
e) We must navigate the train station and strain our ears for the English commentary. We must determine platform, then carriage, then seats. Early in our trip we could be found running the length of a train to find our carriage and asking directions from people who for the most part were not very helpful. And Indian trains are LONG. Think CityRail times 3. Perhaps 4. Running along these with 20 kilos on your back is the worst ever.
f) Trains stations are your first impression of a place. Every single time, I have been given the wrong impression of a place. I come out of a train station and think oh help me this is the worst place ever. It is just overwhelming and intense, filled with people, dirty and dusty.
g) People won't leave you alone. As soon as you get off that train its "porter?" "rickshaw madam?" "i'll take you to my uncles guesthouse..." "NO!"
h) People literally start congregating around and staring at us as a group as we come out of a train station. Mic: "So... you got tickets to the show?"
i) Beggars. The whole experience is heart-wrenching enough but in this environment its just an added stress.
j) Train toilets. Enough said.
k) I admit this is somewhat comical but sometimes its annoying: The tone of a mans voice as he walks through the train selling chai. The tone reminds me of how a frog might 'ribbet'. "Chai" 'Ribbet" "Chai" "Ribbet". Ask me and I shall imitate for you. I have been doing it since our first train ride.
l) Wearing a skirt on a train and having to sleep on the top bunk of a sleeper. I only made that mistake once.
m) Second class. Complete with drum players and beggars. One particularly sad team of beggars was a little boy and girl who were performing a sort of acrobatics routine. The boys face had a painted smile. I wondered if he ever really did have cause to smile.
I have been compiling this list in my head for quite some time. The train ride itself can be enjoyable, but in and out is hell on earth.
Hmmm. I'll miss India.
Peace out!
Christine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that was the funniest blog! makes me wish even more i was there, just to see you on the trains. i may just join facebook in honour of your noble, courageous and stoic locomotive endurance.
Peter
Post a Comment